Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

IF COMP 2012!!! - Better Late Than Never!!

Hello friends! Long time no see. I know. I know. I'm super late to the game on this one. The competition has been over and done with for 22 days now. Not only that, but I didn't even play ANY of the games from last year's competition. But, in my defense, last year at this time I was in the middle of moving to Boston, and readjusting, and blah blah blah. Why didn't I review the games promptly this year?? Well, cause I was in the middle of doing a play and theater can suck up a lot of your time.

All of these excuses. They are of no interest to you. You just want me to get to the games. Luckily, I should hopefully have a bit more time in the upcoming month and a half. What better activity to stimulate my media starved mind than some calm and relaxing Interactive Fiction?

I'm sort of a flitterer. I flit back and forth between hobbies. It's been a while since I really got into Interactive Fiction, but I do love it, and despite my recent penchant to waste stupid amounts of time playing tower defense games, IF has always been and will always remain my greatest love. Gameologically speaking. I mean I'm not going to marry it.

But I just got a new computer and I went and installed the latest Inform 7 on it and I was looking at some of the awesome extensions people have written ( I'm particularly interested in this baby ). And it reminded me what an insane and crazy amount of work it takes just to build the most middling game. I'm going to try to keep that in mind during my upcoming reviews and attempt to tone down the snark should I feel it rise in my gullet. But NO PROMISES!!!

Here's to getting back in the game. I can't wait to start playing! (for those following at home, I'll do the same thing I did two years ago: review the games in reverse alphabetical order)

P.S. - I have not spoiled myself. I do not know which games won, which games took which place, etc. Please feel free to leave comments (not that it's likely) but please heed the words of Doctor River Song. Thanks!

1 comment: